7.06.2007

beyond jelly: toppings for peanut butter sandwiches

I grew up in a family that adored peanut butter. In fact, the members I'm still speaking to still adore peanut butter.

This was good, since we were pretty broke, and buckets of peanut butter were cheap and filling.

There was only one problem. I didn't really like peanut butter going in, and after about my tenth summer of peanut butter sandwiches, I could hardly stand it.

What's a girl to do but get creative?

Below are a few of my favorite peanut butter toppings. Some of them are classics, and a few might sound strange, but they're all tried and true -- and they're tasty enough to make even a peanut butter hater like myself crave a pb sandwich every so often.

  • Peanut Butter and Onions

    Onions are far and away my favorite thing to put on a peanut butter sandwich.

    I know most of you are thinking I've lost my mind. But every person I've shared this with has agreed, unless of course, they hate onions. Actually, even a couple of those have come around.

    If you like onions, give it a go, and remember, you heard it here first.


  • Peanut Butter and Bacon

    Again, this may sound odd, but it's an awesome combination -- assuming you've cooked the bacon, otherwise, it's potentially life-threatening.

    For peanut butter sandwich nirvana, try adding bacon and onions.


  • Peanut Butter and Honey

    As a kid, my friends thought I was weird for this, but it's become rather commonplace now. Even Smuckers has an Uncrustable version of this classic.


  • Peanut Butter Toast

    The toast isn't a topping, so much as it's the foundation, but however you slice it. There's nothing like peanut butter melting over a warm piece of toasted bread to get you out of bed in the morning.


Other Notable Peanut Butter Toppings


Peanut Butter Sandwich Toppings I Have Yet to Try
  • Mayonnaise (I'm terrified of this one)
  • Cheese
  • Olives


Unfortunately, I have tried peanut butter and banana sandwiches. I'm not a fan.

So, what's on your peanut butter sandwich?

0 Comments: